As my kids are getting older and are starting a new school, and we've moved to a new neighborhood--I just want them to have GOOD friends here. These thoughts have made me think a lot of my best friend Shelley Lundberg Francis. I've just been thinking what a big part she played in my life growing up.
We were born 15 days apart. We lived one street away from each from when we were born till college and then we were roommates for our first year at USU. We were inseparable growing up. We did everything together. Since I was the youngest in my family, Shelley came on almost every family vacation we went on so I would have a friend. We always dressed up the same for Halloween (some of the best costumes....grapes, babies, cheerleaders, a 50's boy & girl--HA!) Her family was just like my family. It was a sad day just this last March when her Dad (who was a 2nd dad to me growing up) died from a heart attack. He was one of the funniest Dads around.
We had more sleepovers than you can imagine. We used to make "spook alley's" in her bathroom. We babysat together and even started our own "Babysitters Club". We stole her moms car before we were 16 and drove around the neighborhood terrified to get caught but having so much fun. We ate the best Macaroni and Cheese at her house. We played Barbies and Cabbage Patch dolls. (These memories are not in chronological order just so you know). She loved Crispy Bean Burritos from Taco Time. She was the Senior Class President, I was the Head Cheerleader. We had plans to get married to twins and live next door to each other in California in houses that overlooked the ocean. She knows Blaine and I--it was in her basement where we first held hands and she did a lot to bring us "together".
Most importantly we kept each other on the right path. We were in the same ward, went to church every Sunday together, went to girls camp, EFY, Youth Conferences together, and did GOOD, FUN things. I hope my kids find a friend like Shelley was to me.
Now here we are....we've both had 4 kids.....we both have awesome husbands...and unfortunately the plans of living next door to each other haven't quite come to pass (yet). Shelley has been through a lot and I admire her strength so much. She is sassy, smart, and a great friend and mom.
I got to see her for a short visit just a few days ago. Shell--wish we could hang out like that every week. Here are some pictures I found of us. These are just as embarrasing for me Shell as they may be for you, but they must be posted. (Be grateful I didn't post any of the ones I found when we both had braces.)
This is us probably about 2 years old celebrating our birthdays. We had many birthday parties together growing up.

A trip to California---July 1989. We went to San Francisco and the Redwood Forests.
We were children of the 80's--look at those bangs! Wow! Here we are in front of our Utah History Fair project that we did together. Notice our BFF Heart necklaces we each have.
Some of the best times ever at Lake Powell! We are 12 years old in this picture.
Me and Shelley on her wedding day. (I keep this picture on my dresser Shell.)
Me and Cameron (7 months old) holding Shelley's first baby boy Gardner the day after he was born.
Here we are in our 30's in 2009---looking better than ever I think.
Love ya Shell. BFF Always.
Welcome to our Blog!
Here's whats happening in Crestwood, Kentucky:
Monday, August 3, 2009
My BFF Shelley...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
That's so sweet Jaimee! You are as good of friend to her as she is to you! I always admired your friendship and how much love you have for eachother. I'm lucky to know you both! And, YES, your kids will make friends like that because of the people they are. Love you!
Jaimee: This made me cry and to reminess (can't spell that word)of all the fun times that we had Shelley in our home and the fun times that you and Shell had. I miss those days but life goes on and you have both grown up to be wonderful wives and mothers. I am proud to be your mom and proud to be Shelley's 2nd mom. I love you both. You are very special girls in my life. The picture of you and Shell in 2009 is perfect!!! You both look wonderful. I love you. Don't worry about your children - they will make good friends and will treasure their friendships just like yours and Shelley's has been. Both of you are good examples to your children.
Jaimee this is crazy that first picture of you as little girls is like looking at Kelsie and Macai. I can definitely see the resemblance between Holly and her sister. Sweet post, it's so nice to have a friendship like that, that is so treasured.
So here I sit with the biggest grin on my face! Thank you for being my dearest "oldest" truest friend! I know that my life would be really different if I hadn't had your influence and friendship. I love you more than words can say, and I miss you! Seeing you was so great, a little bitter-sweet, but great:)
I hope you know how much my parents adore you- my dad would always remind me to live where I could find kids like Jaimee, because money can't buy stuff like that! UMMMM, totally stealing some of those pictures:) So glad to see that the hotness never ends!
Mashuga, you are my little hot dog. Only you can make me "bawk meow". Please say "Hallooooow Everybody" for me, and don't worry, Tom Cruise and Katie won't last! SEE YOU VERY SOON!!!!
That is very sweet Jaimee! I worry about my kids finding good friends too. Friends play such a HUGE role in our lives. You and Shelley were lucky to have each other! You are both so cute!
Post a Comment